Potential students wishing to be admitted into the Nursing Major must first be admitted into Nyack College. Then, after their freshman year, may be admitted into the Nursing Major.
New Freshman Students
Prospective students must meet our admissions guidelines to be accepted into Nyack College. The guidelines are below:
- Minimum High School GPA of 2.7
- SAT Combined Score (Critical Reading and Math) of 1000 or higher; Math minimum score of 500
- Minimum grade of C+ in High School Biology AND Chemistry
- Three years of Math beyond Algebra I (Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus)
- Be in the Top 50% of graduating class
Incoming freshmen are initially accepted to Nyack College and start the "Pre-requisite Nursing Curriculum" Program. Freshmen students must successfully complete the 1st year pre-requisite courses and TEAS exam. Freshman students must have a minimum college GPA of 2.7 at the end of their first year to be considered for the Nursing Major in the sophomore year.
Freshmen who do not meet the GPA or Kaplan test minimums will not be invited to the Nursing Major and will need to select another major.
Freshman, click here to Apply to Nyack College Now
New Transfer Students
(i.e. students who transfer more than 20 credits into Nyack College)
The admissions process starts with applying to Nyack College. Prospective Transfer students must meet our admissions guidelines to be accepted. The guidelines are below:
- Satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses in nursing major curriculum (for example: Chemistry, Algebra, Psychology, A&P 1, Nutrition, English Writing 1& 2 )
- GPA: College Cumulative GPA of 2.7.
- Science and Math Requirement: College level Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, College Algebra, and Biology/Nutrition with a GPA in science courses of 2.5.
- Writing Requirement: Essay submitted online.
- Kaplan Test: Must meet or exceed a score of 70. Test offered in April, July and November.
The Director of Admissions will accept qualified students to Nyack College. Once you have been accepted to Nyack College, you will be invited to take the Kaplan Nursing Entrance Exam as a pre-requisite for the School of Nursing. Transfer students are not accepted to the School of Nursing until Kaplan scores are received and application is reviewed through the selection process. Selection into the Nursing Major is very competitive. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted.
Transfer students, click here to Apply to Nyack College Now
For further details regarding nursing program information, please refer to the Nursing Major Degree Requirements and Curriculum.
Admission to the School of Nursing
Qualified students in the Nursing Pre-Requisite Curriculum apply to the nursing major during the Application Filing Period as indicated on the Nursing Major Application Form. All pre-requisite courses must be completed prior to entering the nursing major. Students are admitted competitively to the nursing major.
Pre-requisites for nursing major are:
- Submission of Nursing Major Application and Choice of Major Form
- Completion of pre-requisite courses including College Algebra, Essentials of Chemistry, Principles of Nutrition, Anatomy and Physiology I, College Writing I and II, and General Psychology
- Cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 in math and science courses (College Algebra, Essentials of Chemistry, Principles of Nutrition, and Anatomy and Physiology I)
- Nursing essay
- Must meet or exceed a score of 70 on the Kaplan Entrance Exam
Students must complete an application to enter the nursing major no later than the application deadline the year prior to entering nursing major courses.