- Our Commitment. In all things, Christ is pre-eminent. We desire to learn and witness as a Christian college community within one of the great cities of the world. We desire to bring to our students and city the highest quality of education--in and for Christ!
- Our Students. We are proud to be one of the most ethnically and racially diverse student populations in any college in America.
- Our Unity. Unity in diversity is not just reflected in our ethnicity, but also in the many churches we represent.
- Our City. We utilize the tremendous cultural and educational opportunities within New York City, such as symphonies, art galleries, and musical theater.
- Our Atmosphere. Although we are growing rapidly, we retain a family atmosphere and deep concern for one another.
- Our Flexibility. In the context of a remarkably flexible program, students are encouraged to explore their own gifts and to find their unique calling.
- Our Affiliates. We are enriched by our attachment to an excellent seminary, and by affiliation to Nyack campuses throughout America and the world, especially to Nyack College in Rockland County, where our Dean, Dr. Glenn Koponen, presides over a distinguished School of Music.
- Our Availability. Both Day and Evening Classes are available in the Music program.
Nyack College School of Music
Each School within the college framework is its own wonderful family. You will feel at home when you come to your first classes and rehearsals. Your gifts will be encouraged and developed by a staff of experienced, performing musicians, and by the warm support of your peers. You will have frequent opportunities to perform, both on campus and off. You may choose from a variety of majors and concentrations:
- Bachelor of Arts with Major in Music. This major provides students with a solid liberal-arts framework as they develop their musical skills and talents.
- Bachelor of Arts with Concentration in Sacred Music. Within this major, students may take elective courses which will prepare them for a career in church music.
- Bachelor of Music. This major is for students who are preparing to continue as professional musicians when they leave Nyack. It is available to outstanding instrumental and vocal performers by audition only.
- Bachelor of Music Education. This degree is for students who wish to be certified teachers in the public schools and is also open to excellent musicians by audition.
- Interdisciplinary Courses with Music Concentration. Students who wish to diversify into two areas may choose Music as one of their areas of concentration. Popular choices include Music and Business, and Music and Pastoral Ministry.
- Music Minor. Students who desire to major in another field may elect to minor in music.
Students not majoring or minoring in Music may also take Music courses.
The Chorale is open to all students by audition.
Private lessons are available in orchestral instruments, guitar, piano, percussion, and voice.
Students may elect group lessons in Piano, Voice, or Guitar.
Percussion Ensemble is also open by audition to Percussion students.
Nyack College School of Music is characterized by an outstanding faculty who love to teach and to perform.
Additionally, we maintain close contact with our sister school, Nyack College, Rockland County, and with the superb music faculty at that institution.
Information about our faculty is available here at our web site. H
ere you can also hear samples of their music and that of the NCMC Chorale, and learn about the entire spectrum of Nyack Christian Higher Education.
Our Facilities in New York City
The Island of Manhattan--New York City--is our larger campus! The largest art museum in the United States, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, partners with Manhattan colleges to provide an excellent resource for our students, as does the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, which opens dress rehearsals to our students free of charge. The WALDO library system links Nyack with colleges all over the metropolitan area, making available resources in some of the great college libraries of the world. You’ll not only see the cultural resources of New York City--you’ll be part of them at Nyack College!
Conveniently located between downtown and midtown New York City in the area known as TriBeCa, NCMC is at the corner of Broadway and Franklin Streets, just two blocks east of the Franklin Street stop on the 7th Avenue Subway line. The School of Music is located on the sixth floor at 361 Broadway. Available for your use are practice rooms, an electronic piano lab, computers with music software, a well-stocked library, an auditorium with two grand pianos, and a percussion lab.
Nyack NYC Music Students Say
“I’ve been given the chances to show what I can do, and have also been shown things I never knew or thought I could do. Chorale has been a second home. My semesters at Nyack College have been a joy!”
“I’ve been greatly inspired by the words of wisdom, the patience, and the kind words of encouragement of the Nyack music faculty.”
“I used to think there was only one kind of music--that which I was accustomed to. Now, I want to take the broad spectrum of music which I’ve learned here at Nyack back to my church and community!”
Thank you for considering NCMC as your college home. I would love to meet you in person. Please call for an appointment with Dr. Sue Lane Talley, Director of the Music Program (212) 625-0500, x6188. Our faculty and skilled Admissions and Financial Aid counselors will be happy to discuss your college future. We welcome commuters from all over the five boroughs of New York and beyond. There’s a place for you at Nyack!